Thursday, June 17, 2010

Wild Tortoise

Another one of my little interviews, this time with Jess from Wild Tortoise. Wild Tortoise is one of my newer discoveries that quickly became a favorite! (I blew up the pictures extra large on this interview for extra detail on these outfits. Love them!)

What are your signature pieces/ traits?
I tend to gravitate towards loose tops, tight bottoms, killer shoes and masculine accessories.

What does your current wishlist consist of?
Light paperbag trousers, denim dresses, dainty collars, ankle jewelry and statement necklaces.

Whose wardrobe would you steal besides the magical one in "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe"?
Rachel Zoe's treasure trove of insane vintage pieces and crazy shoes obviously!

Fashion inspirations?
Jenn Brill, Alexa Chung and Nicole Richie (back when she was blonde and going out with DJ AM)

Favorite online shops?
Topshop, ASOS, Revolve Clothing, Forever21

Favorite local shops?
Zara, H&M, Bershka, Aritzia (in Toronto)

How long have you been blogging?
A bit over a year now.

What made you decide to start blogging?
I started this blog to document my travels over the summer but it slowly evolved into a much more fashion-centric one. However, at its root, wild tortoise is still a personal blog.

How do you think you became so loved in the fashion blogging world?
Oh I wish I knew the exact reasons! I guess it has something to do with my outfits or maybe its more about all the photos of food I put up that tempt people to come back after they stumble upon it.

How do your friends and family support your blogging?
I actually didn't tell anybody in real life about my blog, they sort of just started finding out on their own. I get the nagging suspicion that more people know about it than they let on but I don't mind. My parents honestly have no idea and get a little confused when they walk in on me taking photos of myself! Other than that my boyfriend teases me about my "blogger friends" and helps me take photos sometimes.

How long have you been interested in fashion? How did your interest develop?
I started reading fashion magazines in middle school but my style didn't really revolve past typical cringe-worthy teenage trends until my final year of high school after I discovered fashion blogs. Since then its grown into an almost obsession!

Where did you pick up your style?
I was influenced really early on by fashion bloggers like Rumi, Camille and Lulu. Now my influences come from so many different sources that its hard for me to really say where my style has come from.

Has blogging affected your career? Has it lead you in a new direction in life?
In terms of career I have actually become pretty disenchanted with the fashion industry itself (as glamorous as it seems). I don't know if I can ever take fashion so seriously as to make a career out of it. For me, its a fun and frivolous outlet to project how I'm feeling or what I'm into at the moment.

Best advice to fashion lovers, bloggers and non bloggers?
Don't take fashion too seriously and don't let it dictate how you should look. Its only fabric and hardware after all.
Personal benefits to blogging.
All the amazing people I've met as a result of it make me feel a lot less crazy and superficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment